Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
The food hygiene rating scheme provides customers with information about hygiene standards in food businesses. Businesses in Mendip are rated by food safety officers, and this helps customers make informed choices about where they buy and eat food.
How do I find out the ratings of food businesses in Mendip?
Check the food hygiene rating of a business before you eat.
- Look out for window stickers and certificates displaying a premises rating, or
- visit the Food Standards Agency web page to search for a food hygiene rating given to a business.
Food hygiene ratings are also announced on Twitter. To receive updates follow us on Twitter.
A rating of 5 means that conditions are very good
A rating of 4 means that conditions are good
A rating of 3 means that conditions are generally satisfactory
A rating of 2 means that improvement is necessary
A rating of 1 means that major improvement is necessary
A rating of 0 means that urgent improvement is necessary
How is the rating calculated?
Following food hygiene inspection the businesses will be given a rating for the standards of hygiene found at that time. These include:
- How hygienically the food is handled - safe food preparation, cooking, re-heating, cooling and storage.
- The condition of the structure of the premises - cleanliness, repair, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities.
- How food safety is managed and documented - using systems such as 'Safer Food Better Business' or equivalent.
Appeal a food hygiene rating
Following a hygiene inspection of your premises you will be told in writing, either at the time or within 21 days, what your food hygiene rating is. Ratings of 0-4 are not normally published until expiry of 21 days following notification, however should you wish to consent for early publication of a rating, please use this form. If you think that the rating is wrong or unfair, in other words you do not believe it reflects the hygiene standards at the time of inspection, you can appeal against it.
It is a good idea to speak informally first of all to the food safety officer that undertook the inspection of your premises as this will help you to understand how your rating was worked out and to see if you still want to appeal it. If you are still unsatisfied you must make your appeal in writing within 21 days of being notified about your food hygiene rating. This period includes weekends and public holidays. To appeal complete and return the form- firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5BT. You may also wish to visit the Food Standards Agency for more information on making an appeal.by email to
Business's right to reply
The right to reply allows the business to tell customers how the business has improved its hygiene standards or if there were unusual circumstances at the time of inspection. This response will be published online, alongside the rating, To provide a "right to reply" statement please complete and return the email@example.com or post to Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5BT.to
Request a re-visit for a new rating
Businesses wanting a re-visit to revise a rating should put a request in writing to the food safety officer that undertook the inspection of your premises. Please complete and return the firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5BT.form by email to
Please note that there is a charge of £165 for a re-visit.
- There is no limit on the number of requests you can make but the charge will be applicable each time.
- You must provide details of the improvements made with your request, including supporting evidence where appropriate.
- Once this request form is received and checked by a Food Safety Officer, you will be invoiced for £165.
- The re-visit will be carried out within a maximum of three months following the receipt of your request and payment of the fee.
- Applications will only be accepted and deemed valid once payment has fully cleared.
- The Food Safety Officer will give you a 'new' food hygiene rating based on the level of compliance that is found at the time of the unannounced re-visit - you should be aware that your rating could go up, down or remain the same.