Mendip Plan Review 2020-2040
Review of Local Plan Part I & II
Single Local Plan Review 2020-2040
The Council have committed to review and update the adopted Mendip Local Plan Part 1. The new plan will also incorporate the Local Plan Part II when adopted.
Evidence gathering has started and work on the timescale and stages. No major consultation is likely before Spring 2021 with submission of a revised plan in 2020 and 2023. Agreement on the timescales and pre-commencement consultation will take place from summer 2020.
Cabinet confirmed in January 2020 it will review the strategy and policies in Local Plan Part 1:
Revisions to policy are needed to keep the plan up to date with the national planning policy framework and issues and challenges identified in the mendip and Somerset-wide strategies. The review will also consider the effectiveness and coverage of existing plan policies in decision-making.
Scope of the Single Plan Review
This is still subject to discussion and consultation but will include:
- Changes in approach and policy detail to take forward the Mendip's climate change commitment climate change commitment;
- Revising and testing local housing need against the national requirement;
- A review of where growth and where housing should be located;
- Strengthening policies to protect Mendip's landscape character and promoting distinctiveness of towns and villages;
- Identification of additional housing, employment and development sites and the infrastructure to support them.
How can I be involved ?
The Council will produce a new Statement of Community Involvement in 2020 which will set out formal and informal consultation stages on the new review.
Please contact the planning policy team by email firstname.lastname@example.org to be included on our consultation database.