Planning Frequently Asked Questions

On this page we answer some of the frequently asked questions about planning.

All decision notices post 2006 are available on our website, with many older once also uploaded.
Things that affect your property can be found on our My Maps area of the Website:
Frequently asked questions about trees, tree preservation orders, conservation areas and other related questions.
You don't need planning permission for some types of building work and there are a number of options available, both formal and informal, that can help you find out.
You can buy online maps from a list of accredited suppliers on the Planning Portal's website:
Please use the Planning Portal's fee calculator:
For Information and queries relating to S106 or Section 52 Agreements, please email your request to:
This information is held by our partners at the Somerset Building Control.
For information on Highways S278 or S38 Agreements, is held by our partners at Somerset County Council:
For information on how to find out planning history for a property:
Planning permission is required when a new proposed access is on a classified road. If the access is not on a classified road, permission is also required if there are no other proposed works being undertaken. So for example, if the proposal is simply to drop the kerb and the hard standing already exists then permission would be required. If you are installing a hard standing (under part F of the GPDO) as part of the works then permission would not be required. Planning Permission will not be required from the Council if the proposal is considered to be permitted development under (General Permitted Development) Order 2015 (as amended).
If you are proposing to make an application to Somerset County Council for a dropped vehicle crossing they will ask you to contact Mendip District Council to find out if you need planning permission to create a vehicle access. If required, you must get this before you submit an application for a dropped vehicle crossing.
For information land charges services: