Personal Licence

People who wish to run premises where alcohol is sold may require a Personal Licence.

The Personal Licence is not linked to specific premises - once a person has a licence they are qualified to sell alcohol at any premises holding a Premises Licence. Premises supervisors such as the owner, manager, tenant or leaseholder may require a Personal Licence.

Every premises must have a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) named on the Premises Licence who is responsible for making or authorising every sale of alcohol, and they must hold a Personal Licence. You must apply to the Local Authority where you live.

You can apply online using the link below:

Apply for a Personal Licence application and disclosure form

New Personal Licence application forms

Icon for pdf 1. Personal Licence application form [205.55KB]
Icon for pdf 2. Disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties and declaration form [95.5KB]
Icon for pdf 3. Personal Licence application guidance [208.81KB]
Icon for pdf 4. Personal Licence qualification providers [19.63KB]

Reissue of Personal Licence (change of details or loss / theft of licence)

Icon for pdf Notification for reissue of a Personal Licence [99.56KB]

Renewing your Personal Licence - Deregulation Act 2015

The requirement to renew personal licences has been abolished with effect from 1 April 2015, therefore the expiry date on your licence and card are no longer valid. Please note that if you change your name or address, or lose your licence, you will need to apply for a reissue of your licence.

Personal Licencing Fees

Please visit our Fees and Charges page for information on our Personal Licensing fees.

Personal Licencing Fees and Charges