Mutual Exchange

It is possible to swap your home with another social tenant provided that both tenants and landlords (Housing Associations or Local Councils) agree. This is called a Mutual Exchange.

Both tenants need to submit a request to exchange to their landlords for an exchange proposal to be assessed. The process normally takes about 6 to 8 weeks. You must not move into the exchange property before it has been agreed.

You can use a tenancy exchange website to help find another tenant to swap homes with, for example:

This allows you to exchange with a tenant anywhere in the UK. There are fees to register with Home Swapper however some Housing Associations have signed up to annual memberships for all their tenants, so check with your landlord to see if you can qualify for free membership.