Local Plan Part II: Sites and Policies
Local Plan Part II allocates additional sites for housing, employment and community facilities across Mendip.
The Council; is inviting responses to Proposed Changes to the Submission Draft of the Mendip Local Plan Part II. These contain the Council's agreed changes to the Plan - many related to representations made to the 2018 Pre-Submission consultation. The Local Plan Inspector has recommended that these changes are published for public consultation to enable him to consider them at the Examination. The Focussed Consultation will take place for 6 weeks from Tuesday 12th March to Wednesday 24th April 2019.
You can comment on these documents in this consultation which you can find on the Submission Documents page:
- Schedule of Proposed Changes / Minor changes - documents (SD2a and SD2d);
- Policies Map changes (Maps E1 to Q25) - These are in the documents section of the submission documents page;
- Addendum and updates to the Sustainability Appraisal (SD13a/ SD12g);
- Habitats Regulation Assessment October 2018 (SD14a);
- DP24 - Draft SPD revised post submission. Jan 2019;
- Updated Monitoring Documents & Infrastructure Plan (SD22b,SD26a - 29);
- Both SD2a and SD2d include minor corrections from the submission version.
The consultation is limited to the changes and not an opportunity to raise new objections to the Pre-submission Plan.
Background to the Proposed Changes
The background to the Proposed Changes is set out in the report to Council [SD3]. The policy team have published responses to the all matters and issues raised in the consultation. You can find these sorted by topic and settlement here. These schedules also explain why the council is not changing the Plan and well as circumstances where we consider a change is justified. This page also includes updated town and village maps which show all the areas designated in Local Plan Part II combined with revisions in the Proposed Changes.
Responding to the Consultation
Please use the dedicatedand
It is recommended to read thebefore completing the response form.
All responses should be returned by 5pm Wednesday 24th April 2019.
By Post to: Planning Policy, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5BT.
By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
By hand to: The Council offices in Shepton Mallet.
Please contact the policy team if you need more information or guidance.
As this is a focused consultation, there will not be any public meetings or consultation events.
Responses will be published and passed to the Local Plan Inspector.
Local Plan Part II
The purpose of Mendip District Local Plan Part II (Sites and Policies) is to:
- Identify and allocate additional sites for housing to meet the requirements for affordable and market housing set out in Local Plan Part I;
- To ensure there are sufficient sites to enable a rolling five year supply of housing land in the District;
- To allocate additional employment land and identify existing employment sites to support economic development;
- To update development limits around towns and villages;
- To propose Local Green Spaces based a review of "open areas of local significance' in the current Part I Plan;
- To introduce a 'single-site' exception policy to allow self or custom build dwellings in rural settlements for occupiers with a local connection.
Submission and Examination
Local Plan Part II and Proposed Changes were submitted for examination on 23rd January 2019. You can view submitted documents on the submission documents page. Details of the examination programme will be updated on the Examination page. This also gives details of the Programme Officer to the examination.
Progress of Local Plan Part II through its.
A Pre-submission Local Plan Part II was published on 12 January 2018.
Representations received to the consultation can be viewed on the Pre-Submission Representations Page (this also includes responses to proposed changes).
A detailed analysis of the issues raised and responses from the Council can be viewed on the Settlement Issues and Responses page.
Following consideration of responses to the Pre-Submission Plan, a schedule of Proposed Changes was agreed at Council in December 2018. Combined maps by towns and villages showing Pre-submission and Proposed Changes are listed on the Settlement Issues and Responses page.
Issues and Options
In developing the Part II Plan, an Issues and Options consultation including village drop in sessions was held in Sept - December 2015. The consultation documents can be found on the Issues and Options page.
Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and Habitats Assessment (HRA)
In accordance with European and national legislation, Local Plan Parts I and II are subject to a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) and Sustainability Appraisal (SA). This applies to Local Plan Part II and also forms an important part of the site selection process. The SA and HRA documents which accompanied the Pre-submission Plan can be found on the submission documents page. A SA scoping report was published at issues and options stage. The purpose of the HRA is to assess the impact of the draft plan on designated wildlife areas of European Importance. This has been updated to take account of proposed changes and legal re-interpretation of mitigation requirements.
Local Green Spaces
Local Green Spaces are intended to protect areas that are important to local communities or have special qualities. The Part II Plan identifies Local Green Spaces following a review of open spaces, identified as 'Areas of Local Significance' (OALS) policy in the adopted Local Plan. Further information can be found on the Local Green Spaces page.