Premises Licence

These licences do not need to be renewed - they last as long as the premises continue to operate unless they lapse or are revoked.

However, an annual fee will be required of the premises licence holder.

Some examples where a premises licence will be needed:

  • public houses
  • restaurants
  • premises with retail alcohol sales (supermarkets, shops, off licences etc.)
  • hotels and other commercial residential premises
  • non-qualifying clubs
  • late night refreshment premises

A premises licence is required for:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the provision of regulated entertainment
  • the provision of late night refreshment which is the sale and / or supply of hot food and / or drink between 23.00 hours and 05.00 hours.
Details of Licensing Act 2003 Premises Licence applications open for consultation will be listed below.
A premises licence will be required for the use of any premises involved in the permanent sale of alcohol.
Every premises that holds a premises licence to sell alcohol (apart from a registered club) must have a DPS (Designated Premises Supervisor) in day to day running control of the premises.
Every premises licence must have a premises licence holder (PLH).
The Licensing Act 2003 recognises that volunteer and social clubs give rise to different issues for licensing law than commercially run premises selling direct to the public. These clubs (such as the Royal British Legion, working men's, cricket or rugby clubs) are generally organisations where members join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose.
The Licensing Act 2003 has made it possible for the public to object to mismanaged premises as well as the police and other responsible bodies.