Gambling and Lotteries
The Gambling Act 2005 regulates all commercial gambling in England and Wales and includes the regulation of gambling premises, temporary use of premises for gambling, small society lotteries and remote gambling.
The Act has three clear objectives:
- Keeping gambling crime free
- Making sure that gambling is fair and open
- Protecting children and vulnerable adults
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport prepared the legislation; the Gambling Commission provides guidance for Local Authorities, and Licensing Authorities issue some (but not all) authorisation.
We are responsible for licensing premises that offer facilities for gambling. These facilities include:
- Casino premises (converted, large and small)
- Bingo premises
- Betting track premises
- Betting other (betting shops)
- Adult gaming centres
- Alcohol licensed premises gaming machine permit
- Club Machine Permits
- Club Gaming Permits
- Family entertainment centres
- Small Society Lotteries
Gambling and Lotteries Licensing Fees
Please visit our Fees and Charges page for information on our Gambling and Lotteries Licensing fees.