Food Safety

We encourage and support businesses within the Mendip District Council area to manufacture, prepare and sell foods safely.

Mendip District Council understand that businesses may look to change their business model and diversify in order to maintain their business during this time. The following advice is for those businesses that are looking to make provision for takeaways and deliveries where they have not done so before.
Registration of a food business is free and you can trade as soon as we have received your registration form. This form can also be used to keep us up to date with changes of ownership, address and food handling activities.
The food hygiene rating scheme provides customers with information about hygiene standards in food businesses. Businesses in Mendip are rated by food safety officers, and this helps customers make informed choices about where they buy and eat food.
It is a legal requirement that all food businesses have a documented food safety management system which should be kept up to date and be available for officers to inspect during inspections. Failure to have a documented food safety management system will result in a low food hygiene rating.
If you operate a food business you must be able to provide accurate information to your customers on the allergens in the foods you serve. Individuals who are not food businesses and occasionally provide food at charity events or voluntary cake sales, for example, do not need to follow these requirements.
If you run a catering business make sure you understand and follow the legal obligations for gas catering equipment in kitchens and catering premises including bottled beverage gasses.
The Council has a legal duty to hold a register and inspect all food businesses. Food safety officers must assess the food safety risk at each food business. This risk identified dictates the frequency of inspections to a food business.
Whilst food businesses take every care to ensure that the food they produce is safe, from time to time things can go wrong and you may wish to complain.
Food poisoning or more generally food-borne disease can be an unpleasant illness.
The law requires food handlers to receive appropriate training in food hygiene matters. As a minimum staff overseeing the running of the business, those supervising others and staff left on their own must undertake Level 2 Food Hygiene Training.
Under EC legislation if your food business processes and sells some types of food using unprocessed products of animal origin e.g. fresh meat, raw minced meat, raw milk or eggs, the business may require EC Approval if you intend sell to other businesses, rather than direct to consumers.
The council is keen to ensure that exporting businesses based in the district are supported and encouraged to develop their international trade in preparation for the UK's departure from the European Union (EU).