Illegal Eviction

Illegal eviction by a landlord is a criminal offence. If a landlord doesn't follow certain rules to evict you, it could count as an illegal eviction

Most private tenants can only be evicted if your landlord has served valid notice, and has been to court to obtain a warrant of eviction to end your tenancy. This applies to everyone who has an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
Illegal eviction is a serious offence. The courts may be able to force your landlord to allow you back into your home. The courts can also impose fines and award compensation to you as the tenant.
If your landlord has illegally evicted you, or is attempting to do this, you should inform them in writing that this action is illegal. Many landlords are not aware of the law and may not realise they are acting illegally.
The Council's Private Sector Housing team and Housing Options team jointly deal with problems in private rented properties.
If negotiation with your landlord fails, you may be able to take court action to get back into your accommodation. The Court has the power to give you an emergency injunction. This will force the landlord to let you back into your home. The Court may also award compensation.
If your landlord removes your belongings or leaves them in the garden or the street, you should do as much as you can to prevent your belongings being damaged or lost. Report the incident to the council and the police.
Harassment could include threats of violence, removal of fittings or belongings, disconnecting services or repeatedly attending the property without notice or due reason.
Measures could include keeping records, writing to your landlord and getting an injunction.
If we feel that the action taken by the landlord could be considered harassment, we will attempt to resolve this by telephone or through a letter to the landlord advising them of your legal rights as the tenant. We will invite the landlord to co-operate with us and yourself to find an amicable resolution. This is usually mediation and advice on landlord and tenant law and is classed as 'informal action'.