Events and Filming FAQs

What you need to know when holding an event or filming on Council owned land.

Do I need a Temporary Event Notice for my event?

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is given to an individual and authorises them to conduct one or more licensable activities for no more than 96 hours.  TENs can be used to authorise small-scale (>500) events held at any one time, subject to certain restrictions.  If you want to hold a public event that involves the retail sale of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or the provision of hot food or hot drink served between 23.00 and 05.00, you can do so using a Temporary Event Notice.

If you want to hold a public event that involves the retail sale of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or the provision of hot food or hot drink served between 23.00 and 05.00, you can do so using a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

For more information please visit the dedicated web page Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

Whatever the size of your event you will have to think about what hazards are associated with your event, who might be harmed and what you can reasonably do to eliminate the hazard or reduce the likelihood of harm to a reasonable level.

The risk assessment should help you plan for your event and to produce an Event Management Plan.

What is an Event Management Plan?

The key to a good event is a strong event management plan.

This should be a detailed, accurate and comprehensive document which sets out exactly what will happen at the event, the procedures in place to manage it safely, and what will be done to deal with expected or unexpected situations and emergencies. Mendip have produced some guidance to assist you in planning:

Icon for word Event Management Plan Template [179KB]
Icon for pdf Guidance for Event Organisers [338.8KB]

Can I serve food at my event?

You do not need any special permission to provide food at a street party or community event, but if you are selling food or engaging food traders to come to your event then food hygiene legislation will apply.

Further information visit our food safety web page: Food Safety 

Icon for pdf Catering at shows and events [460.0KB]

If you are preparing food at home then do follow the simple advice on NHS Choices How to Prepare Food Safely

Do I need first aid cover?

Your event risk assessment should help you decide whether you need to have first aid cover and what that needs to be.

For small community based events like fetes and street parties you do not have to provide first aid for the public, but it is a good idea to have a first aid kit to hand and someone with first aid training prepared to take charge in the event of an emergency.

Do I need public liability insurance?

The Council requires all hirers of their land to have cover, a minimum public liability insurance of £5,000,000. 

Do I require road closures?

If you would like to close a road for an event, permission is required.

Road Closures for special one off events are provided under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 Section 21. These events can vary in size from a small village fete to a large carnival, festival or procession. Road Closures for Special Events

Will there be fireworks at the event?

See the advice and guidance on the Fireworks webpage for when running your own or organising a display for the public.

Fees to hire Mendip land

Neighbourhood Services Fees and Charges

Market rights

Market rights are required even if your event is not being held on Mendip District Council owned land.  Mendip District Council has the market rights charter for the Mendip area.  If your event has stalls selling tea/coffee or food etc you will need to complete a Market Rights Application Form.

Factsheet: Icon for pdf Market Rights [140.28KB]
Application form: Markets Rights Application Form

IMPORTANT NOTE: It is essential that your Market Rights application is submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the event, otherwise it will be automatically rejected. 

Litter and refuse

Litter must be cleared by the event / production crew during and after the event / filming production around the site boundary. Consultation with the Local Authority contractor must be sought in regards to litter bins and street cleaning. There may be an additional charge due to excessive use applied by the contractor directly. Waste other than public litter emanating from the event / production must be removed from site by a certified trade waste company.

Toilet cleaning service charge

When organising an event please be aware that the toilets are only cleaned during the day up until 8pm April to September and until 6pm October to March. If your event will have an impact on the public conveniences there will be a service charge.

Fairground rides

If your event is going to have children's rides, or fairground attractions you will need to complete a risk assessment for each ride, along with ensuring that the ride operator has public liability insurance and that the rides have the correct certification to show that they have been checked and maintained.