Event Safety for Event Organisers

Whether you are planning a street party, a village fate or music festival for thousands of visitors, if you are the organiser you must plan for and manage safety at your event and that includes being Covid-secure at the present time. Please see guidance below.

Keeping workers and audiences safe during COVID-19 (England)

This information is to help employers, employees, volunteers and the self-employed, and their customers and attendees, in the outdoor event industry in England understand how to work safely during the COVID-19 pandemic, keeping as many people as possible socially distanced from outside of their household or support bubble, in line with the latest government regulations.

Working safely during Coronavirus - The Visitor Economy and Performing Arts



Safety Advisory Group (SAG)

The Mendip SAG's aim is to welcome and encourage events to take place within Mendip whilst ensuring that they take place safely and successfully.  Through consultation and joint working between the Council and its partners, including Avon and Somerset Police, South West Ambulance Service, Somerset Fire and Rescue, and Trading Standards, its aim is to standardise the approach to all organised events which are open to the public and are staged in a public place, on a highway, or on private, or council owned land within Mendip. 

Please complete our online form event notification form the completed form will be sent out to the core members of the SAG, you may be asked to a SAG meeting if they think your event would benefit from their expertise.  If you would like to contact the SAG please call 0300 303 8588 or email safetyadvisorygroup@mendip.gov.uk 

Event Notification Form

What is a Safety Advisory Group?

SAGs provide a forum for discussing and advising on public safety at an event.  They aim to help organisers with the planning and management of an event and to encourage cooperation and coordination between all relevant agencies.   

Do I need a Temporary Event Notice for my event?

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is given to an individual and authorises them to conduct one or more licensable activities for no more than 96 hours.  TENs can be used to authorise small-scale (>500) events held at any one time, subject to certain restrictions.  If you want to hold a public event that involves the retail sale of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or the provision of hot food or hot drink served between 23.00 and 05.00, you can do so using a Temporary Event Notice.

If you want to hold a public event that involves the retail sale of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment or the provision of hot food or hot drink served between 23.00 and 05.00, you can do so using a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

For more information please visit the dedicated web page Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

Whatever the size of your event you will have to think about what hazards are associated with your event, who might be harmed and what you can reasonably do to eliminate the hazard or reduce the likelihood of harm to a reasonable level.

The risk assessment should help you plan for your event and to produce an Event Management Plan.

What is an Event Management Plan?

The key to a good event is a strong event management plan.

This should be a detailed, accurate and comprehensive document which sets out exactly what will happen at the event, the procedures in place to manage it safely, and what will be done to deal with expected or unexpected situations and emergencies. Mendip have produced some guidance to assist you in planning:

Icon for word Event Management Plan Template [179KB]
Icon for pdf Guidance for Event Organisers [338.8KB]

Can I serve food at my event?

You do not need any special permission to provide food at a street party or community event, but if you are selling food or engaging food traders to come to your event then food hygiene legislation will apply.

Further information visit our food safety web page:  Food Safety 

 Icon for pdf Catering at shows and events [460.0KB]

If you are preparing food at home then do follow the simple advice on the NHS Choices website for prepare food safely.

Do I need First Aid Cover?

Your event risk assessment should help you decide whether you need to have first aid cover and what that needs to be.

For small community based events like fetes and street parties you do not have to provide first aid for the public, but it is a good idea to have a first aid kit to hand and someone prepared to take charge in the event of an emergency.

Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

It is a good idea to have public liability insurance to cover your event.

If you are engaging contractors whether to put up a marquee, provide a bouncy castle, or run a food stall you should check that they have public liability insurance in place. The Council requires all hirers of their land to have cover, but for community run very small events it may not be necessary.

Do I require road closures?

If you would like to close a road for an event, permission is required.

Road Closures for special events are provided under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 Section 21. These events can vary in size from a small village fete to a large carnival, festival or procession.

Are you holding the event on Council land?

You will require permission to hold an event on Council land.

To request permission to holding event on Council land , or to hire the Bishops Barn please contact Mendip District Council's Operational Assets team.  

Will there be fireworks at the event?

Follow the Health and Safety Executive visit organising firework displays (open in a new window) guidance when running your own or organising a display for the public.