Toggle menu

Environmental Complaints and Comments

The Environment & Community Protection Team may be able you help you if you are badly affected by pollution, noise or nuisance

How do I make a complaint?

In order to make a complaint we will need to know:

  • Your name and address and a telephone number
  • Email (if you have one)
  • The address (or site) where the problem is coming from
  • The type of problem
  • When and for how long the problem is or has been occurring
  • How the problem is affecting you (e.g. disturbing sleep, or closing windows)
  • Anything you have tried to help sort out the problem (e.g. speaking to your neighbour)


What we can do

  1. We will discuss the problem with you and agree the next step. At this stage advice and a chat may be enough, then we will close your case but keep the computer record.
  2. Normally the next step is to send a letter to the party you have made the complaint about. We will advise them a complaint has been made and at the same time we will send you log sheets to fill in to show when the problem occurs and, very importantly how it affects you. This often sorts the problem out and we hear no more and close the file.
  3. Once we receive your sheets we will review them and a qualified and experienced officer will decide on the next steps. Sometimes it is clear that we cannot take any more action and you will be informed of that and you may be given information on how to take your own private action.
  4. If the evidence suggests that we can investigate further, we may visit you or, in the case of noise, leaving a recording sound level meter for you to record the noise. If the problem persists and our officers observations indicate the likelihood of a problem severe enough for formal action a legal notice may be served to assist in achieving a remedy. Ultimately, and in a very few cases we may obtain a warrant to seize stereos etc. or prosecute the person responsible. We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the process to ensure that you have a good understanding of how our investigation is proceeding.


How to contact us

You can contact us on any of the below methods or by completing the form at the bottom of this page:

Telephone: 0300 303 8588


Post: Environmental Health, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT