Toggle menu

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

If you're struggling to pay your rent, you may be entitled to Discretionary Housing Payments.

Anyone in receipt of Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit can ask for this.

Discretionary Housing Payments are means tested payments made at the discretion of Mendip District Council.

Central government gives the council a limited amount of funding each year to fund these payments.

We can't guarantee you'll get this help. We will look carefully at your situation. Based on the policy, we will help you if we can and pay you based on everything you have told us.

Essentially you must demonstrate your necessary expenditure is more than your income.

For example (for illustration purposes only as each case is looked at individually):

Rent shortfall (the difference in rent and that covered by the housing element of Universal Credit or housing benefit) = £10 per week. Plus allowable expenses = £65 per week; must be greater than total income per week.

Therefore, using the expenses above, if your weekly income was £70 you are likely to qualify, if your weekly income is £80 would not qualify.

Before you start your application, you will need to know your average weekly household income and expenses, along with your bank details.

Further information can be found in the policy below.