Toggle menu

Council Tax Hardship Payments (CTHP)

If you require additional help with your council tax on top of the council tax support you currently receive, you may be entitled to Council Tax Hardship Payments.

Council Tax Hardship Payments are means tested payments made at the discretion of the local authority. They are not payments of council tax support. Funding for Council Tax Hardship Payments will be met by us, not from central government.  As a consequence, Council Tax Hardship Payments will be limited to an agreed amount approved annually. Council Tax Hardship Payments can only be considered for people who are already in receipt of Council Tax Support.

We can't guarantee you'll get this help. We will look carefully at your situation. Based on the policy, we will help you if we can and pay you based on everything you have told us.

Essentially you must demonstrate your necessary expenditure is more than your income.

For example (for illustration purposes only as each case is looked at individually):

Council Tax shortfall (the difference in Council Tax you are liable to pay and the amount you receive in Council Tax Support) = £10 per week. Plus allowable expenses = £65 per week; must be greater than total income per week.

Therefore, using the expenses above, if your weekly income was £70 you are likely to qualify, if your weekly income is £80 would not qualify.

Before you start your application, you will need to know your average weekly household income and expenses, along with your bank details.

Further information can be found in the policy below.

Apply online for Discretionary Housing / Council Tax Hardship Payment

Discretionary Housing / Council Tax Hardship Payment Application

Please only complete this form if you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit, the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit or Council Tax Support.