Council owned Land and Property

We hope that you find the following information useful for enquiries about land ownership and the Council's land and property.

Can you tell me whether the land is owned by Mendip District Council?

Yes, provided the precise location of the land concerned can be accurately described, and it is within the Mendip District area.

In order to correctly identify Council ownership of an area of land or a particular property, we need to know the full postal address or the extent of the boundaries of the land in question. Make your enquiry using the Property or Land enquiry form under 'apply for this service' . Please supply as much detail as you can, indicating adjacent features i.e. road names, playing field names, or other property addresses that may help to identify the land.

Is there a charge for this information?

Normally no charge will be made. However, if a full answer involves considerable research or extensive photocopying of documents then a charge will be made but you will be notified in advance.

How long will it take you to find the information I have requested?

A response can normally be given within 10-15 working days for standard enquiries, providing all necessary details have been provided to us. In some cases we may need to consult the Deeds, which will take longer than a standard enquiry.

How do I find out the owner of the boundary to my property?

If the property is next to Mendip District Council owned land or property, we may be able to identify the owner of a particular boundary. If the property is privately owned you will need to contact Land Registry.  The Land Registry will be unable to assist you if it turns out that the land concerned is unregistered, in which case you may wish to make enquiries locally or try the appropriate Parish or Town Council.

I have identified a piece of land, which I believe is owned by Mendip District Council and I would like to buy it. How would I be able to do this?

We will advertise any land and property for sale or to let.

You can also make enquiries regarding Council owned land or property using the Property or Land enquiry form under Useful Forms below.  Should the land or property be available, there is a charge for this service. Please read the Council's policy on the purchase of small parcels of land in the downloads section below before applying.  

What are Assets of Community Value?

This new Community Right (sometimes called the "Community Right to Buy" or "Community Right to Bid") allows defined community groups, including Parish Councils, to ask the Council to list certain assets as being of "community value". This is designed to give communities more opportunities to take control of the assets and facilities important to them. If an asset is listed and then comes up for sale, the new right will give communities that want it a total of 6 months to put together a bid to buy it (including a 6-week cut-off for an initial proposal to be put forward).

For more information on this Community Right and how to make a nomination please go to the Council's web page on Assets of Community Value