Mendip backs initiative to help residents cut their fuel bills
Mendip District Council is once again backing the popular Big Community Switch which is a collective energy switching scheme which has seen some local residents save hundreds of pounds by switching their energy supplier.
Collective Energy Switching is when consumers get together to negotiate a group deal with gas and electricity suppliers, with a third party actively negotiating a better tariff on behalf of the group through an auction process.
There is a vast array of options for people looking to compare the market and switch suppliers either individually or collectively. Mendip District Council is continuing to back The Big Community Switch run by iChoosr as one way of helping Mendip's residents get a better deal on their energy bills.
The amount saved will vary, but in previous rounds of energy switching that involved Mendip residents, people who signed up to the scheme saved an average of £200 on their annual fuel bills.
The Big Community Switch, which is open to all Mendip residents, aims to help prevent people slipping into fuel poverty by making easier and more convenient for people to participate in energy switching.
The way the process works is:
- Residents visit iChoosr's Big Community Switch website - www.bigcommunityswitch.com - where they can follow a simple online process to register their interest.
- Up to five households can be registered on one email address and residents without internet access will be supported through the registration process by the council.
- Mendip residents are then pooled with other local authority schemes and energy companies bid against each other in a reverse auction to offer the group of customers the best deal.
- A no-obligation offer is then sent to each resident who has registered in the scheme and they have a month to choose whether to accept it.
- If residents choose to accept their offer they are then switched to the new supplier and supported to ensure a smooth and hassle-free transfer.
The collective energy scheme is now open until the auction on 8 October 2019.
Cllr Simon Carswell, Portfolio Holder for Corporate Services said: "We are pleased to be supporting this very popular initiative again as it can save our residents hundreds of pounds on their annual fuel bills.
We encourage all households in Mendip to take part so they can benefit from making a saving hassle-free thanks to iChoosr.''
Mendip District Council has partnered with iChoosr, a leading expert in collective energy switching, to operate the scheme in the district.