Skip to main content
Food and Nature
- 10% of UK emissions (46.5 million tonnes) are from the agriculture sector
- The target tree cover for UK Local Authorities is 20%
- Agriculture and livestock account for 2% of Mendip's carbon emissions
- In the UK, since the 1970s, wildlife has declined by 40% and a quarter of our mammals face extinction
- Increase the potential for carbon absorption in our local landscape
- Increase biodiversity in our district
- Encourage the allocation of allotment sites with new developments
- Develop and deliver a Mendip district food strategy
Key sources of advice & information:
- If you are looking at planting some trees on your land, visit the Woodland Trust's website for guidance.
- For tips on how to reduce food waste, check out Love Food Hate Waste for some great tips and ideas.
- Visit the Royal Horticultural Society website for advice on wildflowers and plants to attract pollinators into your garden, such as bees.