Energy Efficiency at Home

Home energy advice and assistance.

Home Energy Advice

The Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) supported by Mendip District Council provides a free home energy advice line to all Mendip residents.  The CSE provide expert advice on energy efficiency improvements, improving heating, lowering fuel bills and available financial assistance.

 Energy Saving Tips - advice on reducing your energy and saving money.

Centre for Sustainable Energy loloWebsite: 


Phone: 0800 082 2234

Grants and Loans to Improve Your Home Energy Efficiency

Grants and loans are available from the Council to make essential home improvements including energy improvements and to install renewable energy solutions. Visit the grants and loans page for more information.

Home Energy Checklist

Have you ever checked whether your radiators are working properly? Could you be saving money on you energy bills?  Follow this guide to help you identify potential ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home and possibly save some money too:  

Icon for pdf Home Energy Checklist [285.82KB]

Renewable Energy

Renewable energy is clean, produces few waste products and comes from sources like the sun or wind. Visit the Renewable Energy page for more information.

Energy Performance and Cold Homes

Private rented properties require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and should reach a minimum energy performance rating of E or better. These requirements have applied to new tenancies since April 2018.  From April 2020 they now apply to existing tenancies as well.

Visit Devon and Somerset Trading Standards web pages for more information.

Guidance for landlords is available from Government and provides full details on the requirements, penalties of up to £5,000 and registering an exemption.  To find out if a property is exempt you can search the register. 

To get a new EPC, find an assessor or to find out if your property has an EPC, visit the Government's digital service

If you live in a rented home and are concerned about your heating, draughty windows or lack of insulation, contact the Private Sector Housing team who will talk to you about your concerns and may be able to require your landlord to carryout works.  Contact us on 0300 303 8588; Email:

ECO flex Statement of Intent

The ECO flexible eligibility statement explains how the Council will direct assistance towards private sector homes at risk of fuel poverty.  The statement of intent is available from the Housing Policies web page.

Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA)

Icon for pdf HECA Report 2017 [1.63MB]

Icon for pdf HECA 2019 report [232.5KB]

Financial help available to residents for improving home energy efficiency.
Renewable energy is clean, produces few waste products and comes from sources like the sun or wind.