Private Sector Housing Service Standards
Mendip Private Sector Housing Team is committed to providing an excellent service.
The primary aim of the Private Sector Housing team is to ensure that the residents of Mendip live in homes that are safe, healthy and appropriate for their needs.
To achieve this we will...
- work with our partners and key stakeholders such as landlords and tenants to support them in achieving compliance with minimum standards;
- support property improvements to assist vulnerable and disabled people;
- inspect and assess properties in accordance with the relevant legislation and guidance and address non-compliance with statutory requirements in accordance with the Housing Enforcement Policy;
- offer clear information, advice and education to enable local landlords and businesses achieve legislative compliance without unnecessary burdens;
- provide a professional service from experienced and trained staff;
- explain why we are taking a particular course of action and how it will affect you;
- inform occupants and property owners when we intend to visit their property but use our legal powers to inspect a property without giving notice where we feel it is appropriate;
- ensure businesses and landlords receive reports that clearly identify legal requirements whilst not exceeding minimum requirements;
and we will aim to...
- respond to property condition complaints and enquires within 3 working days;
- inspect licensable properties at least twice during the licence period;
- undertake initial assessment of DFG referrals within 10 working days;
- issue HMO licences within 3 months of receiving a valid application;
- advise you as soon as possible if we need to cancel an appointment and rearrange the meeting with you as soon as possible.
and to improve our service we will...
- show you photo identification when we arrive for a property visit;
- give you details when requested on how to make a complaint/compliment about our service and respond in line with corporate response times;
- monitor our performance and take prompt action if standards are not being met;
- periodically review these service standards to ensure we are meeting our customers' needs;
- welcome your feedback to help shape our future service and encourage you to tell us what you think via our online survey www.mendip.gov.uk/pshsatisfaction or contact us directly on the following details:
Private Sector Housing, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5BT.
Tel: 0300 303 8588, Email: email@example.com
- monitor your feedback and provide individual responses where appropriate;
- change our procedures and approach where it is highlighted that we can provide a better service.
Homeless application - we will
- Take an application from you if you are homeless or at risk of homelessness in 56 days
- Complete an assessment within 5 days
- If you are homeless tonight offer you an assessment that same day
- Inform you about your eligibility for schemes to prevent or relieve your homelessness
- Inform you any decision in writing and explain the reason for our decision
- Inform you of your right of a review of our decision, timescale and process
- Arrange temporary accommodation (if reason to believe eligible, homeless and Priority Need).
- Minimise your stay in temporary accommodation by looking for a housing solution in both the private and social sector
If our service falls below standard - we will
- Provide you with information on our complaints policy