Application to Divert or Stop up a Public Footpath or Bridleway Checklist

Under Section 257 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990, a landowner can apply to the Council to divert (or stop-up) any footpath or bridleway where it is necessary to do so in order to enable development to be carried out in accordance with planning permission granted or in anticipation of the planning permission.

When considering the new route, you should think about the difference in the length, any field boundaries that need to be negotiated and what kind of access would be required. If creating a new junction with a road, you will need to consider how safe it might be for the public to use compared to the existing junction.  The diverted route should be no less convenient to the walking public than the definitive line. 

You will need to submit the following: 

Application Form  

A copy of other plans and drawings or information to show the diverted route.   

The fee of £1500. 

All submitted plans must be to a recognised scale, plans that include the words 'Do Not Scale' will not be registered. 

Advice for hard copy applications - 

2 sets of paper documents need to be provided.  

General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) Check: 

To ensure your application is processed and validated quickly, please DO NOT INCLUDE SIGNATURES or any personal information that requires redacting within any of the plans or accompanying documents other than the application forms. 

If information of a personal nature needs to be submitted as a material consideration, please include this in a separate document clearly marked as such.