Advice on Dealing with Pests

It is usually an occupant's responsibility to control pests and in some cases the council can take formal action to ensure that they are treated.

Mendip District Council does  not offer a pest control service, however, most household pests can be treated effectively and cheaply by the householder. For difficult infestations or particular pests it may be advisable to contact a specialist provider by looking on the Internet, in a local directory or phone book. Always agree a price and number of visits when contacting a specialist.

DIY pest control treatments are often available from good DIY shops; ironmongers; garden centres and pet shops. Always follow instructions very carefully.

Pest Control Treatments

AntsOutside: use DIY spray or powder treatment
Inside: clean cupboards etc. before treatment
BedbugsTreat using a specialist contractor
BeesContact a local beekeeper via the Internet or phone directory
CockroachesClean cupboards etc. and remove food sources such as spilt dry foods and use a DIY treatment
FleasUse a specific powder/spay from your vet or pet shop to treat animals. If the problem persists or you do not own animals use a DIY treatment or specialist contractor
Rats and MiceRemove food sources and where possible areas where rats and mice might live such as left over bird food; compost heaps; and overgrown gardens. Use rat or mice poison, but be careful to make sure that it cannot be picked up by animals and children. After treatment block up any holes etc. Ensure all food waste is contained in the weekly food waste caddy and that the lid is locked with the handle forward.
SquirrelsBlock up entry holes. Specialist trapping and killing will be needed if the problem persists.
WaspsUse DIY treatment or use a contractor. Wasps die in the autumn and will not reuse the nest.