The Environmental Protection Team has specific legal powers within the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, to take steps to ensure that owners and occupiers of land keep their land free from large numbers of rats and mice. The legislation provides the Council with powers to require the owner or occupier of land infested by rats or mice to take any steps that are deemed to be necessary to deal with the infestation.

Please note that Mendip District Council no longer provides a pest control service.

What we can help with

  • Rat/Mice infestations where the source has been identified (from commercial premises)
  • Nuisance associated with insect infestations (from commercial premises)


What other services can help with

  • Pest infestations from domestic properties - contact our Housing Team on 0300 303 8588


What we don't deal with

  • Removal of Insects - including bees, wasps and ants
  • Birds and small mammals


How to make a complaint about pests

Environmental Complaints and Comments