Family History Search
You can request a search of all burial registers maintained and kept by the council to help with carrying out a family history search.
Tracing your ancestry
Decide which line of your family tree you wish to trace. It is so easy to be sidetracked by coming across records of other branches of the family, or unrelated families of the same name, and so waste time and effort.
It is always advisable to talk to older members of your family in the first instance and note down what they can remember. Look through family documents and memorabilia and search out any certificates that you already have, and any other relevant papers and photographs.
Apply for a search
Please note before completing any forms the following information;
- Shepton Mallet cemetery - records date back to 1853
- Frome cemetery - records date back to 1959
- Street cemetery - records date back to 1902
- For information about other churchyards within Mendip please contact the burial records office in Taunton on 01823 278805
A standard search fee is £35, which will be invoiced once we receive the request.
You will need to complete our contact form providing as much details as possible, such as:
- Cemetery location, Shepton Mallet, Frome or Street
- Full name of deceased
- Approximate date of death