Universal Credit in Mendip

Universal Credit is now fully operational in the Mendip District Council area.

Universal Credit is a benefit paid and administered by the Department for Works and Pensions - not Mendip Council.  It is important to note though that enquiries from Mendip residents about how to claim, how to report changes in circumstance or any queries about payment / entitlement have to be made to the Department for Works and Pensions or Job Centre Plus.  Mendip Council do not hold Universal Credit records.

Find out more about Universal Credit and how to claim online at gov.uk. A copy of the information guide for people who may need to or are claiming Universal Credit can also be found at gov.uk.

For information to support landlords in applying  for a 'Managed Payment to Landlord' and for information on how Universal Credit full service 'Managed Payments' are paid please visit gov.uk.

MAS logo - call to action linkFor free and impartial money advise further information can be found online at the Money Advice Service.

Universal Credit is a new benefit designed to replace 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment. It will only apply to you if you're making a new claim because you've recently become unemployed or are on a low income.

The conditionality for Universal Credit is much the same as Job Seekers Allowance so the customer will still sign up to a claimant commitment and attend interviews at the Job Centres.

Customers already on one of the legacy benefits will move over to Universal Credit if they have a change of circumstance that would normally see a move to another benefit. E.g. Someone on Employment Support Allowance becomes fit for work or vice versa.

The only time we will pay housing benefit for working age people will be if they are in supported/specified accommodation and from 11 April 2018 will also include those in temporary accommodation. In addition Universal Credit claims made on or after 6 April 2017, for claimants  with more than two children, will have to claim Housing Benefit. All pension age claimants will still claim housing benefit from the us. . Support for housing costs for new claims is now generally provided by Universal Credit. Please complete our online benefits calculator which will advise whether you should claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit. It will also advise you whether you may be entitled to Council Tax support.

If you're contacting us to find out if you're eligible to claim other benefits, our staff will advise you if you need to apply for Universal Credit instead. You will need to apply for Universal credit online. If you don't have access to the internet you can visit your local Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice Mendip.  If you are cannot use a computer or have trouble reading and or writing you can phone the Universal Credit Helpline by telephoning 0345 600 0723 or text phone 0345 6000 743.