Health and Safety in the Workplace

The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 places responsibilities on employers, employees, and the self-employed to have regard for their own health and safety and that of others working for them, and for people visiting their premises. Enforcement of the law is shared between the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Mendip District Council.

Health and Safety legislation applies to all businesses, however small, to the self-employed and also to employees.  If you are a small or medium sized business needing advice on health and safety in the workplace, visit the ABC Guide to Health and Safety for tools and guidance to help you understand what you need to do whilst avoiding unnecessary paperwork and effort.

Helping Great Britain work well

Great Britain's health and safety record is the envy of much of the world. Central to this is protecting people by managing risk in a proportionate and effective way, supporting innovation and increasing productivity. The challenge is to improve even further on this impressive record.  Click here for more information on managing risk in a proportionate and effective way.

What do I need to do to comply with the law?

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have produced guidance for employers on their website on things you need to do.

Q:  Do I need to report an accident?

Certain types of incident including accidents must be reported.  You can find out more by visiting our Report An Accident page.

Q:  Where can I get advice on specific issues in the workplace?

You can find specific help on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website 

Q:  Who enforces Health & Safety at work in my workplace?

Mendip District Council is the enforcing authority in retailing, wholesale distribution, warehousing, hotel and catering premises, offices, and the consumer/leisure industries in this area. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) covers manufacturing, construction, agriculture and education.