Whatever the time of year fireworks are popular. You may be organising an event, going to a public display or having a party at home. Whatever your plans we would like you to have a fun, safe and enjoyable time.

I'm planning an organised firework display what do I need to do?

Due to the current pandemic all organised firework displays must be covid secure and comply with Government restrictions to prevent the spread of Covid-19.  If you plan to host an organised display, please contact the environmental health team on 0300 303 8588 or email to discuss your covid risk assessment.

Follow the Health and Safety Executive Organising Firework Displays guidance when running your own or organising a display for the public.  For more detailed guidance see the Health and Safety Executive publications Giving your own firework display or the summary in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills Safe and successful firework displays.

For further advice on organising a display for the public contact Customer Services on 0300 303 8588 and ask to speak with the Health & Safety Team.

I'm planning a firework party at home what do I need to do?

If you intend to celebrate at home, the Covid restrictions in place require that

  • you must not socialise in groups larger than 6, indoors or outdoors
  • try to keep at least 2 metres away from people you do not live with or wear face coverings
  • Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.

Follow the advice for Firework Code and safety tips for sparklers and bonfires

What are the time restrictions for setting off fireworks?

It is against the law to let off fireworks on a street or in a public place and other than New Year's Eve, Bonfire Night, Chinese New Year and Divali between the hours of 11:00 pm and 07:00 am.  The Police enforce the law in relation to antisocial behaviour and fireworks.

What are the restrictions on buying fireworks?

It is illegal to sell fireworks to anyone under the age of 18.  Officers from Trading Standards website work with Avon and Somerset Constabulary and local licensing officers to help prevent the sale of age restricted goods such as fireworks to children.

Q:    Do I need a licence?

You may need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you are intending to run a bar or put on any other regulated entertainment as well as the firework show.

Q:    Can I use Council owned land to hold my display?

Due to the pandemic events are not currently permitted on Mendip District Council owned land.