Toggle menu

Financial hardship - support available

Support from Mendip District Council and other organisations

Council Tax Support and the Additional Hardship Discount

If you're not yet receiving Council Tax Support, are on a low income and think you may be eligible, please contact the Council. In particular, if you're claiming Universal Credit for the first time, you may also be eligible to claim.

Check your eligibility and get help here: Council Tax Support.

Warm homes

Mendip residents seeking advice on financial assistance to improve their homes can visit Financial Assistance. The Private Sector Housing Team are also here to help, give them a call on 0300 303 8588 or email:

Save energy and money - take a look at Mendip's Home Energy Checklist pages: Energy Efficiency at Home.

Centre for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is a charity supporting people and organisations across the UK to tackle the climate emergency and end the suffering caused by cold homes. CSE's Home Energy Advice service,  commissioned by the Council to provide expert help and advice to Mendip residents, helps people to reduce their bills and access benefits and grants to make their homes warmer.
For advice and support visit or call 0800 082 2234.

Independent advice

Citizen Advice is an independent national charity that provides free, confidential and impartial advice for people on a wide range of issues, including benefits, work, debt and money, consumer issues, relationships, housing, law and rights, discrimination, healthcare and education.

Call 0808 278 7842 to talk to us or contact us via the website here:

Your wellbeing

If you are experiencing feelings of distress and isolation, or are struggling to cope, The Samaritans offers support; you can speak to someone for free over the phone, in confidence, on 116 123 email, or visit the Samaritans website They are there 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Samaritans are not just for moments of crisis, but for taking action to prevent the crisis.

Check out this little book of wellbeing: 

For more information please click here: