Abandoned vehicles can be reported to Mendip District Council, or to the DVLA. Vehicles displaying a current tax disc will not normally be considered abandoned.
An abandoned vehicle is regarded as a vehicle that has no known owner and that has been dumped.
When reporting a vehicle as abandoned, you will need to provide us with the following information:
- Your name, address and/or phone number
- The vehicle registration number
- The colour, make and model (e.g. red Ford Focus)
- The exact location of the vehicle
If possible, please also provide the following:
- The condition of the vehicle
- How long the vehicle has been there
- Is the vehicle being used at any time?
If the vehicle is considered abandoned we will fix a removal notice to it. If it is not claimed within the period stated on the notice, it will be removed and disposed of.
Reporting an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA
Untaxed vehicles that are not abandoned can be reported to the DVLA anonymously giving the same information as above through their website.