Postcode Search
Search site

House in Multiple Occupation Licence

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property occupied by three or more persons who form two or more households. A household could be a single person, or persons related to each other. If you rent out a property as an HMO it may require an HMO licence from Mendip District Council if certain criteria are met. Failing to licence a property may result in an unlimited fine.


Apply/Renew a House in Multiple Occupation Licence

To apply for an HMO licence, or to renew an existing HMO license, please download the word icon HMO license application form [186kb] and return the completed form along with any necessary supporting information and payments. For details of additional items you will need to include to support your application, please refer to the document word icon What to include with your HMO application or renewal [31kb].

For current HMO licence application and renewal fees please download word icon HMO license fees [31kb]..

What is a 'House in Multiple Occupation' (HMO)?

This is a building or part of a building that:

  • is occupied by more than one household and where more than one household shares or lacks an amenity, such as a bathroom, toilet or cooking facilities
  • is occupied by more than one household and which is a converted building but not entirely self contained flats (whether or not some amenities are shared or lacking)
  • is converted self-contained flats, but does not meet (as a minimum standard) the requirements of the 1991 Building Regulations and at least one third of the flats are occupied under short tenancies.

The building is occupied by more than one household:

  • as their only or main residence
  • as a refuge for people escaping domestic violence
  • by students during term time
  • for other purposes prescribed by government.

A 'household' is defined as:

  • families, including single people, couples and same-sex couples
  • other relationships, such as foster carers, other carers and domestic staff.

Does my HMO require a licence?

Not all HMO's require a licence. A license will only be required for HMOs which have three or more storeys and five or more occupants sharing a WC, bathroom or kitchen facilities. Failing to licence a property may result in an unlimited fine.

Expected Changes: From April 2018, it is expected that all HMOs with 5 or more people sharing facilities will require a licence regardless of storeys.  This includes any HMO which is a building, converted flat or purpose built flat where there are up to two flats in the block More information is available here.

Management of HMOs

The HMO management regulations place a number of duties upon the manager of an HMO. Both landlords and managing agents should make sure they comply with these regulations at all times. For further advice download the word icon HMO Management Duties [13kb].

Need help?

For advice and assistance with please contact the Private Sector Housing Team at, 0300 303 8588, or write to Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT

Last modified: 22 June 2018