Postcode Search
Search site

Council Tax Support Overpayments

When dealing with changes in circumstance of a person in receipt of council tax support, the existing capability within the council tax system for dealing with over and under payments will apply.

An over- and under-allowance of council tax support is equivalent to an under- or over-payment of council tax.

Where a person has a change in the amount of council tax support they are receiving, we will issue a further decision letter. This ensures that you are always aware of the reason for the change in the council tax support.

Where a person has paid too little council tax we will recover any monies we are owed under the same council tax processes for recovering unpaid council tax.

Delivering council tax support as a reduction means there is no further need for the Council Tax Benefit rules which applied in respect of suspensions and terminations.

If person disagrees, as with the appeals process, they will first need to write to an authority setting out the grounds by which they are aggrieved by the new calculation of their bill.

If the amount of a reduction calculated was greater than it should have been the billing authority will be able to continue to make decisions to recover on a case-by-case basis.

Last modified: 08 March 2017