Postcode Search
Search site

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is a means tested discount to help people, whether unemployed, working or on a low income, to pay their Council Tax. It is a local scheme with the rules set and administered by Mendip District Council. Any discount awarded will be credited to your Council Tax account, reducing the amount you owe.

If you pay council tax for your home and live on a low income, you may be able to get some help. The amount you could receive depends on who lives with you, the amount of money you have coming in and any savings you have.

If your capital exceeds £16,000 you can not apply for council tax support. You can find our Council Tax Support policy in the documents section below.

Am I entitled?

Click here for a quick online estimate of any entitlement to council tax support and other welfare benefits.

If the council tax support you receive is not enough to pay your council tax, you may qualify for a council tax hardship payment. Further information can be found in the section below.