Postcode Search
Search site


Excessive noise can be a source of annoyance and stress which can interfere with everyday life, cause sleep disturbance and on occasions affect your health


What we can help with
What we don't deal with
  • Noise from domestic premises e.g. loud music, TV or radio
  • Noise from commercial premises
  • DIY taking place at unreasonable hours
  • Noise from plant machinery and equipment
  • General daily living noises
  • Noise from construction and demolition sites
  • Noise from sporting activities e.g. motor bike scrambling, clay pigeon shooting etc
  • Dogs that persistently bark

How do I make a complaint about noise?

In order to make a complaint about noise we will need the following information from you:

  • Your name and address
  • Your telephone number
  • Email address (if you have one)
  • The address (or site) where the noise is coming from
  • The type of noise occurring
  • When and for how long it has been occurring
  • How the problem is affecting you (e.g. disturbing sleep or closing windows)
  • Anything you have tried to help solve the problem (e.g. speaking to your neighbour)

What we can do

Our usual process is as follows:

  1. We will discuss the problem with you and agree the next step. At this stage advice and a chat may be enough, then we will close your case but keep the computer record.
  2. Normally the next step is to send a letter to the party you have made the complaint about. We will advise them a complaint has been made and at the same time we will send you log sheets to fill in to show when the problem occurs and, very importantly how it affects you. This often sorts the problem out and we hear no more and close the file.
  3. Once we receive your sheets we will review them and a qualified and experienced officer will decide on the next steps. Sometimes it is clear that we cannot take any more action and you will be informed of that and you may be given information on how to take your own private action.
  4. If the evidence suggests that we can investigate further, we may visit you or, in the case of noise, leaving a recording sound level meter for you to record the noise. If the problem persists and our officers observations indicate the likelihood of a problem severe enough for formal action a legal notice may be served to assist in achieving a remedy. Ultimately, and in a very few cases we may obtain a warrant to seize stereos etc. or prosecute the person responsible. We will endeavour to keep you informed throughout the process to ensure that you have a good understanding of how our investigation is proceeding.

How to contact us

You can contact us on any of the below methods or by completing the form at the bottom of this page:

Telephone: 0300 303 8588


Post: Environmental Health, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT


Last modified: 29 June 2018