Postcode Search
Search site

Aggressive Dogs

If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place then the owner or the person in charge of the dog at the time has committed an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act (1991). If the dog injures a human while it is out of control the offence becomes more serious.

If you have been attacked by a dog, you should inform the Police on 101 or in an emergency call 999.

Dog on animal attacks

If your animal has been seriously attacked by another persons dog please do the following:

  1. Check both dogs for any wounds
  2. If your dog is injured, take it to the vet as soon as possible
  3. Get the details of the other dogs owner - their address is essential in order for us to write to them
  4. Contact us using the details below

How do I complain about a dog attack?

If you would like to make a complaint about a dog attacking your pet, we will need the following information from you:

  • Your name and address
  • Your telephone number
  • Email address (if you have one)
  • The address of the dog's owner
  • Any other relevant information including when and where it happened

Mendip District Council do not take anonymous complaints. We will need the above details from you in order to pursue a complaint, and any details given will remain confidential and will not be disclosed by us without your permission.

What we can do

  • In the majority of cases such incidents are a civil matter between the individuals concerned, however we will write to the dog's owner reminding them of responsible dog ownership.

How to contact us

You can contact us on any of the below methods or by completing the form at the bottom of this page:

Telephone: 0300 303 8588


Post: Environmental Health, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT


Last modified: 29 June 2018