Postcode Search
Search site

Barking Dogs

Noise Nuisance caused by barking dogs

How do I complain about a barking dog?

If you would like to make a complaint about a dog barking, we will need the following information from you:

  • Your name and address
  • Your telephone number
  • Email address (if you have one)
  • The address of the barking dog(s)
  • Any other relevant information, for example the times of day that the dog is barking, how long it has been going on for etc

Mendip District Council do not take anonymous complaints. We will need the above details from you in order to pursue a complaint, and any details given will remain confidential and will not be disclosed by us without your permission.

What we can do

There is no quick fix to a dog barking problem, and our usual process is as follows:

  1. Once a complaint has been made, an initial letter to the owner of the dog is sent out, advising them that we have received a complaint.
  2. As well as sending a letter to the dogs owner, we will also send some record sheets for you to complete. It is extremely important that these are filled out and returned so that an Environmental Health Officer can make an assessment as to whether there is likely to be an actionable nuisance occurring.
  3. Once the record sheets have been returned and assessed by one of our officers, they will contact you to discuss the outcome.

How to contact us

You can contact us on any of the below methods or by completing the form at the bottom of this page:

Telephone: 0300 303 8588


Post: Environmental Health, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT


Last modified: 29 June 2018