Postcode Search
Search site

Appeals Against Banding

Since 1 December 1993 there are only limited occasions when taxpayers can challenge their banding.

These include:

  • a material increase or reduction in the dwelling's value, e.g. demolition of whole or part, conversions of houses to flats,
  • physical changes in the locality affecting value.

Or within six months of:

  • becoming a taxpayer, or
  • a band change to your property made by the Listing Officer, or
  • a band change to a similar property to yours made by the Court.

Appeals should be addressed to the Listing Officer, Valuation Office Agency   

Valuation Office Agency

Read more about Valuation Office Agency. There is no charge for requesting an appeal.

You may also appeal if you consider that your bill is incorrect, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt. If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify the Council in writing so that they have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Please remember that making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax pending the hearing of the appeal. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

All customer contact with the public is now through:  Valuation Office Agency

Useful Pages 
Council Tax and Finance - General Information 
Council Tax - Band Reductions (Including Disability)

Last modified: 19 October 2017