Postcode Search
Search site

Riding Establishment

If you run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding lessons) in the Mendip District Council area you will need a Licence.

A Riding Establishment is defined by the Riding Establishments Act 1964 as amended by the Riding Establishments Act 1970.

pdf icon Application for Licence to keep a Riding Establishment [213kb]

pdf icon Chartered Institute of Environmental Health - Health and safety guidance for inspections of horse riding establishments and livery yards 2006 [1Mb]

pdf icon HM Government Fire Safety Risk Assessment - animal premises and stables [2Mb]

pdf icon Mendip District Council Guidelines to the Riding Establishment Acts [77kb]

pdf icon Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and British Veterinary Association Guidelines for Inspectors [263kb]

How do I apply for a licence?

You will need to download the Application for a Licence to keep a Riding Establishment form, fill it in and return it to us with the fee.

A minimum of 60 working days needs to be allowed from initial application to the grant of a new licence, though subsequent applications can usually be dealt with within one month of receipt. Riding Establishment Licences last for 12 months from the day they are issued. You will automatically be sent a renewal form at least a month before your licence expires.

Last modified: 31 July 2013