Postcode Search
Search site

Private Hire Vehicle

If you plan to drive a vehicle as a taxi, you should first apply for a dual use driver's badge as that usually takes longer to process.

Please refer to the Dual Use Driver's Badge page for information on how to apply.

pdf icon Private Hire Vehicle application form [113kb]
pdf icon Private Hire Vehicle Regulations [126kb]

Private Hire Vehicles are only permitted to accept pre-booked work, they are not permitted to 'ply for hire' in the street or use taxi ranks. They do not usually have a taximeter fitted, and they are not bound by our taxi fee rates.

The type of vehicle and its appearance are not prescribed, but the vehicle must be of a suitable design to carry out this role. Before you purchase or change a vehicle you should check with us that it will be suitable.

The person or company that takes bookings must be licensed as a Private Hire Operator with the Council that its vehicles are licensed. Also, the drivers of these vehicles must be licensed by the same authority, as hackney carriage / private hire vehicle drivers.

Last modified: 27 March 2014 iCM Form
  1. Please use this form to request a replacement taxi badge or licence plate. (Following change of details or theft/loss/damage)
  2. 1.Your Details
  3. 2.Reason for Reissue
  4. 3.Change of Details (if applicable)

  5. 4.Further Information
    1. For changes of address please provide the licence number of all vehicles and private hire operator licences held. For a replacement badge or plate, please provide the licence number.
    2. Label
    3. Please refer to the current fees for details of charges for replacement badges and plates.
    4. Please send us a cheque for the necessary amount as outlined in the fees sheet. IMPORTANT Please Include your name and address on the back of the cheque before sending to the Licensing department, Mendip District Council, Cannards Grave Road, Shepton Mallet, BA4 5BT