Postcode Search
Search site

Universal Credit

Universal Credit was initially rolled out in the Frome and Wells Job Centre areas (that cover Mendip) in March 2015.

Universal Credit is a new benefit designed to replace 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment. It will only apply to you if you're making a new claim because you've recently become unemployed or are on a low income.

The conditionality for Universal Credit is much the same as Job Seekers Allowance so the customer will still sign up to a claimant commitment and attend interviews at the Job Centres.

Mendip District Council do not get involved in administering any housing benefit for any person in receipt of or eligible for  Universal Credit as Universal Credit picks up the eligible housing costs.

From 27 July 2016 Frome and Wells Jobcentre Plus are delivering the full Universal Credit service to all new claims from all* claimants, this will also include anyone who is currently on existing benefits or Tax Credits and has a change in circumstance that would naturally trigger a new claim**.

Instead of claiming one of the 6 legacy benefits; i.e. Job Seekers Allowance (Income based), Employment Support Allowance (Income Based), Income Support, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Housing Benefit, working age customers including couples and families, will claim Universal Credit.

People already on one of the legacy benefits will move over to Universal Credit if they have a change of circumstance that would normally see a move to another benefit. E.g. Someone on Employment Support Allowance becomes fit for work or vice versa.

The Department for Works and Pensions intend to move all existing legacy benefit claimants to Universal Credit by around 2019/20.

*The only time we will pay housing benefit for working age people will be if they are in supported/specified accommodation and from 11 April 2018 will also include those in temporary accommodation.

**From the 6 April 2017 the Child Element will only be payable for the first two children for all new claims to Universal Credit. Universal Credit claims made on or after 6 April 2017, for claimants  with more than two children, will have to claim Housing Benefit.

All pension age claimants will still claim housing benefit from the us (about half our caseload are pension age - so about 4,000 households).

Everyone will still need to claim council tax support from the council (about 8,000 households).

The two Job Centres in Mendip (Frome and Wells) are amongst the first nationally to roll out this service which commences from 27 July 2016.  As such Department for Works and Pensions say that they are still very much in a "test and learn" situation.

It is important to emphasise that Universal Credit is a benefit paid and administered by the Department for Works and Pensions - not Mendip Council.  It is important to note though that enquiries from Mendip residents about how to claim, how to report changes in circumstance or any queries about payment / entitlement have to be made to the Department for Works and Pensions or Job Centre Plus.  Mendip Council do not hold Universal Credit records.

If you're contacting us to find out if you're eligible to claim other benefits, our staff will advise you if you need to apply for Universal Credit instead. You will need to apply for Universal credit online. If you don't have access to the internet you can visit your local Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice in Shepton Mallet for help to complete online applications. If you are cannot use a computer or have trouble reading and or writing you can phone the Universal Credit Helpline by telephoning 0345 600 0723 or text phone 0345 6000 743.

Find out more about Universal Credit and how to claim online at A copy of the information guide for people who may need to or are claiming Universal Credit can also be found at

For information to support landlords in applying  for a 'Managed Payment to Landlord' and for information on how Universal Credit full service 'Managed Payments' are paid please visit

For free and impartial money advise further information can be found online at the Money Advice Service.

Money Advice Service - click for Money Manager for Universal Credit claimants This link opens in a new browser window
Money Advice Service - click for Money Manager for Universal Credit claimants



Last modified: 16 November 2018